Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Tire Ottoman




Sorry for the delay in posts! This latest project took more time than I thought! Not that it was hard to do but I couldn't find fabric that I loved! I am probably one of the worst decision makers in the universe, I tend to over think EVERYTHING. I took about a week and a half searching for fabric, then I found two I liked and took another few days deciding between the two. I finally just chose one and then came the dreaded shipping wait...I love online shopping (there are so many more options on the web) however, I am not the most patient person, so waiting 7-10 days for my fabric felt like an eternity!! Enough with my rant.... 

TIRE TURNED OTTOMAN........

8 years ago I went to a meet and greet of a Nascar driver to try and get an autographed picture, I ended up winning one of the door prizes instead!!........an autographed car tire that was driven on in one of the races. A little weird yes but I was still so excited that I won! Until it started collecting dust in the garage and taking up space. What was I going to do with an autographed tire? Most people might have put it up for sale or just dropped it off at the dump but I am a sentimental person and didn't want to just get rid of it. I saw a post about recycling a tire into an ottoman! Very unique! However, I wasnt a real fan of the look of it but it was a great building block for new ideas! So with some leftover wood in our garage I sent my husband out to cut me a top piece for the new ottoman.






Our house isnt a very big house so any way to conserve space is a must. I decided to try and make this into a storage ottoman to hide our extra throw pillows and blankets or better yet, another toy box for our daughter's endless amount of toys. My husband cut a thick piece of wood the same size as the tire for the top. To prevent the top from slipping around and to make a nice snug fitting top I had him cut another smaller piece that I attached to the bigger piece to make a fitted top.

                  

My husband really wanted an extra soft top to the ottoman to rest his feet on so I used some old seat cusions I had around the house and cut them to fit on the top. I then used quilt batting to cover the top wood pieces to soften it up just a little bit more and to keep the foam in place.

Once my fabric arrived I traced the top of the ottoman (allowing extra inches around the entire circle so that I could tuck and adhere it underneath) Then I cut 3 long strips of fabric that was wide enough to be tucked under and inside the tire. This part was tricky and took the longest because I had to keep going back and forth making sure each side was tight. And here it is....my ottoman that was made from a tire!


The picture on the left is the ottoman I really wanted for my house...except for the fact it was selling for $399.99. My top on my ottoman is extra thick and soft without the button, both per my husbands request of wanting his feet to sink into it and not have his heels resting on hard wood and a button. The only thing I might change to this is to add legs like the other one has but hey....I saved myself $375 by reusing this tire!!




Pin It Now!

No comments: