Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Wallpaper Dresser

I recently redesigned a pair of nightstands that I found at a Goodwill and fell in love with refurbishing old pieces of furniture. I have a dresser that I recently put in Lilliana's room that I believe I bought about 10 years ago. It is really outdated and I have been meaning for awhile now to try and refurbish it but thinking back on how long it took me to sand down those 2 nightstands, I have not been wanting to willingly go down the sanding road again. However, going into her room about 10 different times a day and every one of those times looking in disgust at the dresser, I couldnt stand it anymore and decided to brainstorm. It is the dead of winter and I did not want to go into my freezing garage and sand down the dresser. I even bought a can of liquid sander (deglosser) but it needed to be applied at a temperature above 50 degrees, Michigan winters barely get into the 40's so I needed another option. I came across an article about applying wallpaper to dresser drawers and that was it...I am going to try and wallpaper Lilliana's entire dresser.

It was actually pretty simple...I went to my local hardware store and found plain white, pre-pasted, paintable wallpaper and bought 2 rolls (I didnt even use up one whole roll for this dresser.) And then it is just a matter of outlining and tracing the pieces and then following the directions that come with the wallpaper. I started with the drawers and laid the drawers on the back of the wallpaper and traced out my lines. Then, depending on brand of wallpaper, dip it into water for a few seconds and apply. It took about 24 hours to fully dry but when it dried the dresser looked just like it had been painted! It was a quick and easy fix to an ugly dresser!



Pin It Now!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is awesome. I can't believe it's really wallpaper!!